ANNOUNCEMENT – February 2021
RE: Citizens’ Bond Oversight Committee
The Board of Trustees of the Walnut Valley Unified School District (“WVUSD”) is seeking qualified,interested individuals to serve on a committee of community leaders which will serve as the Independent Citizens’ Bond Oversight Committee (“CBOC”) for the implementation of the District’s Measure WV school facilities bond program.
Proposition 39 Bond Election
On November 8, 2016, voters residing within the WVUSD passed Measure WV. Measure WV is a $152,880,000 bond measure that authorizes funding for needed repairs, upgrades, and new construction projects to the District’s schools. Proposition 39 required a 55% supermajority for approval; Measure WV was passed by 64.31%.
Establishment of a Citizens’ Bond Oversight Committee
After a bond authorized under Proposition 39 is passed, state law requires that the WVUSD Board of Trustees appoint an Independent Citizens’ Bond Oversight Committee to work with the District.
In accordance with Education Code Section 15278(b), the CBOC shall:
- Inform the public concerning the District's expenditure of bond proceeds of Measure WV.
- Review expenditure reports produced by the District to ensure that Measure WV bond proceeds were expended only for the purposes set forth in Measure WV; and
- Present to the Board in public session, an annual written report outlining their activities and conclusions regarding the expenditure of bond proceeds of Measure WV.
- The Bylaws which govern the CBOC are attached to the Application.
Appointment of Committee Members
All appointments will be made by the Board from applications submitted to the District. The Committee shall consist of at least seven (7) members appointed by the Board from a list of candidates submitting written applications, and based on criteria established by Prop 39, to wit:
- One (1) member shall be the parent or guardian of a child enrolled in the District.
- One (1) member shall be both a parent or guardian of a child enrolled in the District and active in a parent-teacher organization, such as the Coordinating Council or a school site council.
- One (1) member active in a business organization representing the business community located in the District.
- One (1) member active in a senior citizens’ organization.
- One (1) member active in a bona-fide taxpayers association.
- Two (2) members of the community at-large.
Time Commitment and Term
Initial appointments will be staggered, such that some of the initial appointees will be appointed to serve one full two-year term. The other initial appointments will serve a one-year term, but will be eligible for reappointment by the Board for a second and third two-year term.
Would You be Interested in Serving?
If you wish to serve on this important committee, please review the committee Bylaws for more information about the committee’s role and responsibilities and complete the attached Application.
Please send completed applications to Dr. Matthew A. Torres, Assistant Superintendent via email to email@example.com by 4:30 PM on April 9, 2021.